Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Other Peoples Kids, Part 1

I love watching other people with their kids. It's embarrassing to be around your kids at time, and talking to them in public like you do at home. I know this for a fact, as I've overheard myself talking to my boys in a voice I wouldn't want others to hear, saying things I wouldn't want recorded. Everybody does it. That's what makes it sad...or funny, as I plan to record here.

Background: we have a company lunch room where people can occasionally bring their family for lunch. It's great food, a nice environment, and inexpensive. So, on any given summer day, or during the holiday breaks from school, you'll hear lots of kids. Today being the day-before-Thanksgiving, there was a half day in most schools.

Overheard almost verbatim, in the lunch room today:

"Isaiah, don't...Isaiah, don't...Isaiah, put that back!"

"Why?"

"Because you're having the sandwich."

"But I want this!

"If you want that, you have to have some salad."

"But I want this."

I'm not bringing you here again."

"What?

"I said I'm not going to let you come to mommy's work again for lunch."

"Okay, okay, I'll have the salad."

"Okay, you can have that...Isaiah, where are you going? Isiah don't...Isaiah, don't...put that back!"

"What?

"Why are you getting a spoon?

"I need it!

"Isaiah, you don't have anything that you need a spoon for. See, you have the chicken and you have the salad, and you have a fork!"

"I need the spoon!"

"Isaiah, don't..."

Scene two minutes later: a family grouping at one table, with a little boy at an adjoining table happily eating his salad with a spoon.

Find something to be thankful for.

No comments: