Friday, February 2, 2007

Addendum

After I published the blog below this evening, the snowstorm that threatened the photo shoot earlier this week, but was then pushed back until this evening, hit. As a result, a long day got longer, with slow going home through streets either over salted or not yet plowed. Thank goodness for All Wheel Drive.

Anyway, I made the usually 20 minute ride home in just under an hour, and the snow, of course, hadn’t yet been plowed on our street. So I had the privilege of making the first (discernable) set of tire tracks through it.

It’s nice to be the first set of tire tracks through fresh snow. You get the sense of trekking through something special, untouched and unspoiled. Putting aside the fact that once I’ve driven through it it’s touched and spoiled, it’s a pretty nice feeling. Big snowflakes swim at your windshield like starfields in some bizarre science fiction movie, like stardust in the wake of a fairy I'm chasing through the darkness. It's a magically continuous three-dimensional experience of rushing forward. Zoom.

I’ve been home a few hours now, and the snow hasn’t let up. I’ve finally gotten the snow I’ve been asking for (again). It’s snowed. And it’s done so right before a weekend, which is extra special because it means I get to play with my kids in it tomorrow.

All things come, just not necessarily on my timetable.

Just thought I’d share. The first shot is through my front door onto the deck, and the latter image is through the back door onto the deck. The single set of footprints are from me coming home about four hours ago.





It snowed.

3 comments:

Don Hudson said...

Isn't that snow nice? I rarely see that type of white stuff and it's nice to know that it still shows up somewhere.

Steve Buccellato said...

Oh yeah! Snow! I remember that stuff!

mmclaurin said...

I should take a shot in the day, to show it a bit better, as the snow has not melted and won't for the next week of near zero! But that would require me being home while its light out, which ain't happening this week...