Monday, March 26, 2007

60 in 6, Part 1

I've been keeping a second personal blog offline, tracking my 60 in 6 plan. That plan started as a result of my desire to lose weight, and a lot of other upheaval in my life. My original plan was to start posting once I had reached my goal. But in retrospect, that's kind of cowardly. I mean, to say, hey, here's what I wanted to do," and not tell anyone until I had done it, speaks a bit to a lack of confidence in my ability to accomplish. So,what I plan to do, over the next couple of months, is post selected entries from that blog, outlining my loss, around my other blog entries. This should 1) encourage me to post more often, lest I have to fall back on posting these entries, or 2) shame me into accelerating that goal. In any event, this may be interesting, it may be merely self-serving. Seeing where I started, certainly this will be a bit embarassing. But it is what it is.

------

12/1/2006 (Fri)
I’ve gone through a hellish month of introspection, self-deprecation and anger at myself and the world…and others, in alternating waves. It’s a kind of pain I haven’t felt in over 20 years. As with the last time I went through something like this, the only way I can make it through is to know its sparking some change, some birthing pain that makes the effort of survival worthwhile.

Therefore I’ve dedicated myself to the proposition of losing 60 pounds in 6 months. Six months from now is June 2007. I want a record of this, and I plan to post it on the blog. 60 lbs in 6 months, so sworn. So let it be done.

Starting weight: 284 lb.
-------------------------------------------------

12/ 6/2006 (Wed)
Losing weight very fast and effectively. Working out daily, and lack of appetite is playing into that. Hopefully my muscles will get larger as my girth gets smaller. 2-3 coffees a day, vitamins in the morning, soup at noon, and a light dinner. Feeling a bit light headed often, but can’t tell if I’m light-headed because I’m not hungry, or if I’m not hungry because I’m light headed. Doing pushups daily, trying to rip up my arms and chest, pushing myself to new limits that are nowhere near my limits at my peak. But I will get there. I will.

Goal weight: 280 lb.
Actual weight: 278 lb.

-------------------------------------------------

12/11/2006 (Mon)
Birthday celebration for a friend on Friday. Had the light dinner, but also two beers. First alcohol I’ve had since I started. Left me light headed, and glad I had the dinner to counteract. Eating less makes me a lightweight. Good. Was consequently hard on myself this weekend with extra pushups and ice-skating on Saturday. Pushing my limits.

I had hoped to be down to 270 this Monday, even though that would be ahead of schedule. But still shows I need to continue to push myself. No pushups over the weekend, though I did some ice-skating on Saturday. I will do pushups today, and add a walking routine to my daily schedule.

Goal weight: 276 lb.
Actual weight: 272 lb.

-------------------------------------------------

12/ 18/2006 (Mon)
Slowing down. Less diligent in eating well, and need to step up exercise routine. Doing 3-4 sets of pushups, but need to add sit ups to the routine somehow. Found out today by my BMI, I’m obese. Shit. BMI index is calculated this way:

Formula: weight (lb) / [height (in) 2] x 703
Calculate BMI by dividing weight in pounds (lbs) by height in inches squared and multiplying by a conversion factor of 703.

Actual Calculation: [weight (lb) / 5329] x 703=My BMI (My height is 6 ft. 1 in.)

The normal range is from 18.5—24.9. I’m 35. Shit. Everything over 30 is obese.
I need to keep this in mind.

Goal weight: 274 lb.
Actual weight: 270 lb


To be continued.

1 comment:

Sara Kocher said...

I was going to say you're brave putting this up here. But then I realized that my thoughts in reading about your determination were along the lines of "Yeah, you go, Marcus, you can do it!" and not at all critical. So maybe brave isn't quite the right word. Forthright, maybe? Oh heck, let's stick with brave.

I am a little worried with the not eating and surviving on coffee thing, though. On thing I learned while pregnant...if I ate a light breakfast with a little protein in it, I did much better all day. Once I wasn't pregnant and needed to loose the baby weight, I kept the decent breakfasts and went with exercise and light lunches and dinners. I wasn't too cranky that way.

Anyway, I'm rooting for you. It's not where you start, it's where you're headed that counts.