Thursday, December 28, 2006

The Power of Poetry

I’ve been listening to music lately.

That might not sound significant in and of itself, but I remember a conversation I had about six months ago, outlining in detail why I didn’t listen to music anymore. The radio sucks, playing either obscurity for the sake of obscurity, or pop that sounds all the same, the bitter saccarin sweet regurgitation of themes it is. I just got fed up trying to find something that spoke to me. I haven’t bought a CD in over two years. I know the bands, I hear the music, but none of it spoke to me. So I stopped listening.

That’s changed. Recently I’ve started listening again. ITunes, for all its failures, has done what no radio station has. By invading my privacy and reviewing my music choices, it’s helped me find some great music that actually speaks to me, based on who and what is in my personal music library. This is the power and trade-off of surrendering digital privacy. It’s been worth it, to me, to awaken again to the power of the poetry of music. Listening to a dozen times is something I haven’t done since high school. I’m listening to music again. Wonders never do cease.

One of the neat things that iTunes has is iMix, where you can offer a selection of music that evokes a mood or theme or idea. Lately I’ve been listening to love songs. Hell, how many other kinds of songs are there? Some of the songs I’ve found are hopelessly poppy, despairingly trendy, while others are unique and speak to me in the context of the others. I’m not so far in communicating my digital will on others as to publish an iMix (and besides, some of my faves are not on iTunes at all, anyway), but I do have my own very short mix of songs I’d like to share here. These are songs around the outskirts of love-obsession, desire, pain, redemption. The usual stuff. It’s short because the list of music I’d listen to over and over is likewise. Some new, some pop, some obscure. Only two things they share is that they all clearly they don’t belong on the same list, and a deeply personal connection with me.This is not my specific order. My specific order tells a story I really don't want to share. The songs are enough.

The Trouble With Love Is Kelly Clarkson
Like a Star Corinne Bailey Rae
Sons Gonna Rise Citizen Cope
Beautiful Christina Aguilera
Love is Never Equal Jill Sobule
I Can Let Go Now Michael McDonald
Tear You Apart She Wants Revenge
I'm So Happy I Can't Stop Crying Sting
Poor Fractured Atlas Elvis Costello
Once in Every Life Aselin Debison
Human Nature Madonna


Please share yours, if you've a thought to.

No comments: