Monday, December 4, 2006

Trouble and Sparks




During my years as an Editor at Marvel, UK (London) conventions were the best. If Marvel hadn't sent me, I likely would have paid my own way, while I worked there. after the first one. That and San Diego are the ones I miss the most, with San Diego running a close second. I loved the UK Con because there was typically four hours of convention, from 9 to 1, followed by an adjournment to the local pub until the wee hours. And with that much beer, they were wee hours...

Lukewarm English bitter was the second best. But after the 3rd or 4th one, the temperature grew on ya, like the taste of haggis.

Anyway, at one such convention, then X-Men Editors Bob Harras, Steve Buccellato and Marie Javins apparently got bored, which, as with all good creative people, started their juices flowing. And this was without any bitter. Thus was born "Trouble and Sparks, the mutant feminist super heroes!"






The point is that Bob immediately bought into the concept and committed to a 4-issue limited series. This never came to fruition, of course, or we'd be seeing the new Trouble and Sparks movie, coming soon to a theater near you, this summer. Or maybe that should be theatre, as it was made in England.
Ah, the things that might have been.

5 comments:

Don Hudson said...

I have heard my fair share of convention stories, but I've never heard this one! Are there any character sketches floating around?

Marie Javins said...

I believe I have them in storage.

And in my photo, Joe Q is looking bemusedly over at use as we pitch Bob our Trouble and Sparks limited series. Marcus either cropped him out or has a different photo.

Steve Buccellato said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Steve Buccellato said...

I guess that's how ideas are born...and STOLEN!!!

;

mmclaurin said...

Well, now you have a record that would stand up in any copyright court in the land! As long as the land is La-La.