Friday, January 26, 2007

Feel better.

How do you make someone feel better? Is such a thing even possible?

I’ve been recalling an early Peanuts cartoon by Charles Schultz. In the first panel, Charlie Brown is sitting on a curb looking sad, and Violet and Lucy notice, and decide to walk over and cheer him up, in a spirit of altruism that seems very unlike them. So they walk over and stand for a beat, then Violet says, “Be of good cheer, Charlie Brown.” And Lucy adds, “Yes, Charlie Brown, be of good cheer.” Then, mission accomplished, they both walk off, feeling infinitely pleased with themselves, leaving Charlie Brown still sad, but now also puzzled as to what that was supposed to accomplish. Ha ha.

I remember reading that cartoon in a collected paperback book in elementary school, and thinking not that it was funny, but that it was true. That’s what we do. We see someone sad, and we want to fix it. (As usual, when I say we, I mean me, unless you can relate…)
We hate to see it. It hurts us to see another’s pain, or (maybe pain is too strong a word, though it’s sometimes appropriate) we hate to see another’s discomfort. Maybe it’s from the nobler inherent need to help others, to empathize with their pain and want to alleviate it. Maybe it’s from somewhere more selfish; seeing someone in pain strikes an internal chord that makes us begin to feel our own pain, and want to heal the other, at least cover it up in the other, before the infection can spread to us. I’m not sure if it matters which it is, and I suppose it depends more on your World View.

I choose to believe the former. I hope I choose to care. But that said, is there anything we really can do? When a person feels sad or bad about something, we may want to say or do something that makes it okay, but is there anything really, that we can do, except be around and watch as they go through it? Can any words fill the emptiness of loss, alleviate the terror of uncertainty, and stop the echoes of heart-wrenching tremors that rattle around in that empty space inside? We want to, sure we want to, but what can one really do?

Listening is often at once the least and the most we can do, and encourage someone to talk, to facilitate that. Not responding is sometimes the most we can do in response. That, and maybe hope that when and if they get through to the other end, that our mere presence and willingness to endure, was enough to help in some way.

Me, I like laughter. If it were me walking up to Charlie Brown, I might point to a spot on his shirt and ask him “what’s that?” and then bop him on the nose with my finger as he looked down, and hope that would amuse more than annoy. Because I happen to think the best way to feel better is to think of something that makes you happy, or has made you happy, or could make you happy. Again, maybe that’s too simplistic, but I’ve found if I can think of something good that’s more important than the bad thing I’m feeling, that sometimes helps me feel better. But by the same token, I’ve found talking to others and trying to get them to go through the same process, or to give them the gift of something to feel better about doesn’t always work. It’s more fifty-fifty. And the fifty that fails can fail pretty miserably. But I had a teacher in college that always said, "If I'm flying an aiplane and it's going to crash into a mountain, I hope it explodes in midair with tons of fireworks, seconds before it hits." In other words, if your going to fail, fail dramatically, and spectacularly. Well, sir, I do try.

So I’m left with no answer to this one. I don’t know if it is really possible to make another person feel better, really. The most we can hope for then, is that we can help ourselves to feel better, and that we can be there for the other person to help them find their own path to that place. And hope that, on occasion, you can get to that place together. Either that, or get tons of fireworks.

8 comments:

Marie Javins said...

You cannot make someone feel better. Time just has to do its job. But last time I had a horrible time, I realized that the worst thing you can do to someone is be so uncomfortable with their situation that you run away. You can't make someone feel better, but at least don't make them feel worse. Be there, no matter how uncomfortable, and just listen. And then talk a whole lot so that they forget to be morose for just a minute!

And by "you," I don't really mean you. I mean you plural. People in general.

Steve Buccellato said...

A nice mojito would make ME feel better!

Maybe a good steak and one of those lava cakes.

A massage?

Possibly a trip to Bora Bora.

But maybe that's just me. And by "me" I mean "The Bucce." Boo-ya!

Don Hudson said...

I think humor works. Anytime I feel sad, I remember times where I was even worse off. Counting my blessings can lift my mood dramatically.

Steve Buccellato said...

There's that gratitude thing again! One of the foolproof keys to happiness. Unfortunately, you can't make someone else grateful! They should invent a pill.

I guess there's always heroin!

mmclaurin said...

Marie;
I agree completely. It just sucks that I don't control the universe. I'd do such a good job, really.

Steve;
It's been my experience that ony people who've never been to Bora Bora talk enviously about taking a trip there.

Don;
Grateful does it.

Steve Buccellato said...

Actually, last spring, my family and I went to Moorea, which is one of the Tahitian islands in the Bora Bora neightborhood. We had a great time and would go back there as well as Bora Bora. I've done some research believe it or not, and so I think I can safely say, without envy, that YES, I DO want to go to Bora Bora.

So there!

mmclaurin said...

Coises! Foiled again!

Hey, next time take me with?

Marie Javins said...

I've never been to Bora Bora, and I only have a mild interest in going. What does this prove? I have no idea, maybe that I dislike the beach.