Sunday, January 7, 2007

What the Hell am I Doing-New Year's Edition

Reviewing this list since my last list, I realize I’ve been doing less in the month past than typically. I’m slowing down. This is a good opportunity to review and re-pace myself. I need January to set the pace for the rest of the year, and it can’t be a slow one. Not this year. This is the year everything changes.

Trying something new this post: More links. If you are curious about others opinions of the books, the links will lead to Amazon reviews.

Last Read: Life of Pi, by Yann Martel. This is a great, fast read with lots of twists and turns. It’s ostensibly about a young Indian boy whose family owns a zoo. While traveling on a Steamship with the animals (they’ve have been sold to a zoo in America), disaster strikes and he ends up on a lifeboat with a group of animals, including an adult carnivorous Bengal tiger. Is that redundant? In the middle of the ocean. And from there it just gets wilder. The last third is a kicker. I highly recommend the experience. This will never be made into a movie, at least not an adequate one, so the book is the only way to have this experience. This is on my list of top ten re-reads. Speaking of which, in no particular order, her are the first five (other than the one already outlined above). I’m cutting this into chunks, since I want this to be a somewhat readable list. Will post the rest sometime in the next month.:

The Time Traveler’s Wife, by Audrey Niffenegger.
I know I said no particular order, but really, this should be the top of the list. This is an amazing love story told through two lives-one of a man who jumps through his life, with no control of it, and the other of the woman he loves, and who loves him. Amazon synopsizes it better than I can. But it’s great piece of fiction. I can’t praise this enough. “If you read only one time travel romance thriller this year…”

Time and Time Again, by Jack Finney.
Okay, on the subject of time travel, which fascinates me for some reason, this is a good one. This was made into a schlocky movie with Christopher Reeve, and is one of those examples of movies I don’t understand. Why would you like a story enough to say you want to make a movie of it, and then fundamentally change the basic tenants of that story? Why does that happen so very often? Lesser movie, excellent, completely different, book. though not on the level of The Time Traveler’s Wife, above.

The Bee Keeper’s Apprentice, By Laurie R. King.
More period stuff. This title is the first of a series, whose premise is following the story of the brilliant and interesting woman whom Sherlock Holmes, in his later, retired years, meets, educates, falls in love with and marries. For Holmes fans, it may be a stretch, but I found it intriguing, and a great, sweeping story, as well as a great springboard for the latter titles.

The Alienist by Caleb Carr. This is the period piece that got me started. Scientists and a reporter in NYC in 1896, use modern profiling and evidence gathering techniques to profile and identify a serial killer. CSI:Old New York, with elements of a thriller and mystery.

End of Part one.

Last Seen: Apocalypto. This was a sweeping thrill ride. I’m not one for director swooning anyway, and think that every famous director from Spielberg to DePalma to Scorcese has had his share of lackluster efforts. I’ve never been one to say I want to see a movie because of the director. So the same holds true for the reverse—I wouldn’t avoid a movie because of the director, which seems to be a theme in all the other reviews I’ve seen. I’m a story guy. Gimme a good story, and I’m with you, right there. Anyway, this keeps your heart racing throughout the blood and gore and sadness (and there is a fair share, though nothing like, from what I’m told, Children of Men. Skipping that one, for now. Like I have a choice. This is my at-the-theater quota for the next 2 months.)

Last drawn: Finished the fifth page (in line art) for the children’s book I’m working on. Next, I need to do the color, which feels a bit intimidating, as I haven’t touched watercolors in a few years. Then on to dummying up the rest of the book, laying out at actual size. and mailing to my writer friend to sell. Pages are posted at my website.

Coming up: I am planning at this point (subject to chickening out and pending getting a pass) on attending the NY Comicon. This will be the first comic convention I will have been to since leaving Marvel. Spread the word to anyone who you know will be there! Meet my oldest! Poke my grey hair! Throw work at me!

2 comments:

Steve Buccellato said...

Another fine post! You're like an old pro at this now, Marcus!

I've read (and enjoyed) Time and Again and The Alienist, and tried The Time Traveler's Wife. The last one, I put down. I think because I just wasn't in the mood. May try again. I love the other 2 books.

If you like historical fiction, I have a couple of recommendations for you!

Try Forever, by Pete Hamill. Hamill is a great writer about all things New York. This novel is about an Irish imigrant who flees to NYC when it is still a village, and then finds himself cursed (or blessed depending on your POV) to live forever, as long as stays on Manhattan island. As a result, we see the whole history of the city unfold through his eyes and through his involvement. Great read!

My next two recommendations aren't fiction, but they both read like good, fast-paced novels. They are Devil in the White City and the new Thunderstruck by Eric Larsen. "Devil" was really popular, so maybe you've read it. It's about the creation of the 1893 Chicago World's Fair, and a serial Killer that prowled there! Really interesting stuff about the architect of the fair, Daniel Burnham.

Thunderstruck also tells of a true-life murder, and the story is cleverly interwoven with the story of Guglielmo Marconi, inventor of wireless communication. Fun...and educational!

Hmm. Maybe I ought to review my most recently read books on my blog. Been a while.

Anywayz, you should check these out.
:D

mmclaurin said...

Thanks Steve! I've jumped right out and ordered Forever, as it sounds right up my alley. Read Devil in the White City already-definitely a good read. Have not seen Thunderstruck, but will keep an eye out. I also just picked up Caleb Carr's The Angel of Darkness.

Tou've got to gt into the last half of The Time Traveler's Wife. There're some mighty twists in there, and a kicker of an ending. I love books with great premises, but often, for me, (like John Byrne or Stephen King ideas) the endings fail to live up to the strength of the idea as a whole. Wife is a book that keeps its promise through the end.

One of the best things to come out of this is the ability to regularly correspond with you guys. I've missed you!