Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Two souls

I’ve been talking a bit to others about integration of different parts of ones life, or ones work, into your overall Life with a capital “L.” That’s brought back to me the concept of two souls, an aspect of Kabalistic mysticism I read about years ago, and really believe. Disclaimer: I’m no theologian, so this is representative of my understanding, and my own thoughts. That’s the best I can offer.

According to Judaism, we’re all born with two souls, and operate throughout our lives on two levels of consciousness. One is the divine soul, striving toward selflessness and truth, seeking peace and, ultimately, seeking God, or the universe, or whatever you want to call it—thereby propelling our spiritual life. The other is the animal soul that is motivated by self-preservation, self-gratification and a whole bunch of other self stuff, that thereby propels our physical life. Life is spent then as a constant struggle between these two souls, one seeking to impose its will and its way on our lives. Or, in a more positive sense, life is spent in interaction with the two souls, trying to integrate them into a whole.

But it’s not as clear cut as the good devil and the bad devil sitting on your shoulders, “Man I looooove my divine soul and wish my animal soul would stop trying to f#çk me up.” The animal soul is actually more powerful in us, and not all bad. Though more concerned with the physical, and housing our urges and desires, base and otherwise, the animal soul is also responsible for creativity and passion. It lights and fans an internal fire of desire that provides motivation. It is more intense, and more closely tied to what we would, in Western culture, assign as positive emotions; again, creativity, drive, strength and desire to achieve. The animal soul is what drives progress in the world.

But that’s assuming those passions are checked, and guided by the divine soul. Without that guidance and discipline, the animal soul can become a destructive force. On the other hand, the divine soul, by my understanding, is more pure but not as strong. By that, I mean it’s more comfortable with introspection than action; with working within than on working without, in the world; on studying and self-improvement than on changing ones situation. It is strong in that it is “of God” (hence, 'divine') and represents thereby a spiritual connection to…well, everything.

Okay, bad analogy number one (that, embarrassingly, shows how my simple mind likes to break down intense concepts into smaller chunks that I can chew). I like to think of it as Tarzan being the animal soul, with Jane as the divine soul. Jane is what Tarzan loves, and what drives him to nobler acts, and channels his inherent power. But Jane wouldn’t survive a day in this jungle without him, because he can kick @$$. And sometimes, there’s quite a bit of kicking to be done. Jane needs Tarzan, Tarzan needs Jane, both making the other stronger, better, and possible.

I don't know how cheetah fits into all this. :-)

The thing I liked best about this concept is that it acknowledges this struggle, and makes it okay. It’s not about saying, “You’re bad because you have a strong animal soul, and you should look more to your divine soul you skanky so-and-so.” It’s saying everyone has this struggle, and everyone shares this struggle. Everyone. And that acceptance is like welcoming home a long lost part of yourself, a lost child you cast out, unknowingly and have missed without remembering. You can let him in, and make a place for him. You may need to maybe move the china to a higher shelf and add some safety locks to the knife drawer and the gas stove (okay, bad analogy number two) but let him know, he is home.

You're home.

Now wipe your feet.

1 comment:

Sara Kocher said...

This is beautiful, Marcus. I never knew that about Judaism, but my Jewish education is pretty sketchy, to say the least (I'm at about the level of a second-grade drop-out who's read a little on the Internet since).

I really like the balance between the two souls and your Tarzan analogy. Clarifies a lot for me. Maybe Cheetah represents that some things just don't fit into the puzzle as we understand it, but belong there anyway. Or not.